Re: Cannot login using root password

Unless you've left some backdoor for yourself (which would have been a bad
idea anyway), you're left with booting from cdrom, or a resuce disk set.

The basic procedure is as follows:

1. Boot up from some other media that has it's own root partition and get
to a shell. I'm not sure what specifically Debian has for this, but
basically any Linux boot disk set will do.

2. Log in to this temporary "system" as root

3. Mount your "real" root harddrive partition in /mnt (e.g. mount
/dev/hda1 /mnt)

4. Go into /mnt/etc and edit your shadow file (if you were using shadow
passwords - the default).

5. In the shadow file, copy the password hash from a user account password
you know, to the hash for root.

6. 'reboot' take the disks out and try to log in with the password you
just set

7. Change the root password

-Matt