Re: Introduction to Debian Packaging Paper

On Mon, Mar 18, 2002 at 10:39:02AM -0500, John F Davis wrote:
> I wrote a Introduction to Debian Packaging Paper (html) for my local
> linux users group.  Nothing fancy, but its a quick intro to the packaging
> on debian.  How to use apt, dpkg, dselect, and even how to build
> a package - quick summary of new maintainers guide.

Nice overview, I can imagine it will help people.
I'm not familiar with packaging myself, so I only glimpsed over it,
but I think it's wise to be a little bit more polite when addressing
the relative merits of RPM's and DEB's.  People it the know say the
most important difference is that Debian adheres to a strict policy
with respect to filling in the proper fields, whereas in RPM land
a lot of people don't care and deliver in a way broken packages not
because RPM is bad, but because *they* left out vital information.

--
groetjes, carel