Re: XFree86 and NVidia GeForce 2 MX 400

On Mon, Mar 18, 2002 at 04:08:44PM +0100, Anna Lindgren wrote:
>     Hi,
> I¹m a totally fresh user to Debian, have tried Red Hat before, but wanted to
> try out Debian instead, but I seem not to be able to install the Xserver. I
> have a NVidia GeForce 2 MX graphics card, which is not supported in
> Xfree86-3.3.6 that is included in my installation package. I cannot start X
> and I am not able to configure it so it works. Tried to download
> Xfree86-4.2.0 and a new Nvidia driver from their homepage, but when I try to
> update Xfree, I get a message that ?GLIBC2_2¹ that is required is nowhere to
> find.

The Debian package management system is there for you to use. It
automates dependencies control and if you have a good internet
connection, automatically downloads what you need. The problem is that
"potato", the current stable release, uses an older version of libc
(2.1). You probably want to upgrade from potato to "woody", that is
currently the "testing" release.

> I tried uninstalling Debian and reinstalling it without any components
> for X, and the install the new Xfre86-4.2.0, but still get the same message.
> I want to be able to run X, which I could without any problems using Red
> Hat, only had other problems with that, which is why I would like to try
> Debian instead, please, someone, help me get my Debian system running....
> I¹m not a Linux expert (yet), so please explain in an easy way what I should
> do......

To upgrade to Woody, see

http://www.de.debian.org/releases/testing/i386/release-notes/

and edit /etc/apt/sources.list and comment out the lines that mention
"stable"

In Sweden, I use the following lines in sources.list:

deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ woody main contrib non-free
deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian-non-US woody/non-US main contrib non-free

But you might find the following better.

deb http://ftp.sunet.se/pub/os/Linux/distributions/debian/ woody main non-free
deb http://ftp.sunet.se/pub/os/Linux/distributions/debian-non-US/ woody/non-US main contrib non-free

Or, as you seem to be located in northern Sweden, try

deb http://ftp.se.debian.org/debian/ woody main contrib non-free
deb http://ftp.se.debian.org/debian-non-US woody/non-US main contrib non-free

which is located in Luleå.

After editing lines in /etc/apt/sources.list, try

apt-get update

and

apt-get dist-upgrade

--
Note that I use Debian version 3.0
Linux emac140 2.4.17 #1 sön feb 10 20:21:22 CET 2002 i686 unknown

Hans Ekbrand