Newbie: problems intalling aps

Hi,

I'm a newbie to debian, I had problems when I try to install from a
local disk, after selecting the packs using either "simple" or the
"advanced method" it fails to find them. I checked the installation
path file:/mnt/hde6/debian and is correct. So I can't understand why
it says it can't find anything.
I did the following dpkg-reconfigure base-config, and after that I
choose "advanced" and all packages. BTW is there a way to install one
just to try without breaking dependencies ?
I'm using debian stable, dl the files using wget -r (not from the
linux side).

Regards,

Rick