Re: biggest, newest IDE disk stuck in PIO mode; because no BIOS support? [dsb]

> From: "nate" <debian-user@aphroland.org>
> > Any ideas how to get Linux and my 45GB disk to use DMA mode (besides
> > upgrading my aging machine, of course)?
>
> keep in mind you may not WANT dma. DMA is turned off for a reason
> by default, it has trouble with some configrations. VIA chipsets
> is one of those configs. ALI chipsets may have similar issues.  Because
> of these issues, i use Promise ATA/100 PCI controllers in my
> systems, and do not use the onboard IDE at all ..

DMA seems to work fine for the other three devices.

What I'm really trying to find out is how to re-enable DMA for the
fourth device in Linux given that I had to disable the whole drive
in the BIOS.

Is there some kernel command-line parameter to pass to the IDE
driver?

Daniel
--
Daniel Barclay