Re: Debian maintenance question: apt-get vs. dselect vs. dpkg-- help!

On Sat, 2002-03-16 at 13:19, Joerg Jaspert wrote:
> wells <wells@submute.net> writes:
>
> > What's the best way of installing things? Apt-get? Dselect? Compiling
> > from source?
>
> If you know the package name -> apt-get install package.
> Search for with apt-cache search.

To clarify for wells: apt-cache search <some string> gives you pacakge
names whose description contains <some string>.
Get info with apt-cache show <package name>

> >From the frontends dselect is the best, and for dist-upgrades only use
> dselect, not apt-get.

I use apt-get dist-upgrade. Problem is that apt-get won't show you
recommends and suggests.

dselect is a nice front end if you can live with its idiosyncracies wrt
key commands.
Another nice front end is feta, available with /etc/apt/sources.list
line

# feta, http://www.sacredchao.net/software/feta/
deb http://www.sacredchao.net/software unstable main
deb-src http://www.sacredchao.net/software unstable main

It kind of unifies apt-cache, apt-get and others to sane feta <command>
commands

--

I did not vote for the Austrian government