Gnome app problems

Ok, I am responding to my own e-mail here.  Sorry about that, but I
fixed it, and my original message hasn't even hit the group yet.

But check this, because this is the weirdest thing.  I'm running sid,
like I said in the previous e-mail.  I have a cable modem and have been
using dhcpcd as my dhcp client.  I tried dhcp-client awhile back and it
didn't work.  I don't know why, but I stuck with dhcpcd, even though it
is now not in sid anymore.  Today I saw that dhcp3-client was in sid, so
I thought, what the hell, I'll install that and see if it works (keeping
a copy of the dhcpcd deb just in case).  Anyway, so I installed it (and
dhcp3-common) and it connected.  Cool.  Just because I'm paranoid, I
reboot, to make sure it was set up to start at boot time.  It connected,
and that is when I started having problems getting evolution, gabber and
galeon running.

So, I though the problem was with some package I had just upgraded.  But
for the hell of it, I reinstalled dhcpcd and uninstalled the dhcp3
packages.  Rebooted, and not my gnome apps work again!

Ok, so maybe I'm not thinknig about this in the right way, but how can a
dhcp client screw up some gnome apps.  I mean, all of the ones I use
connect to the internet, but they didn't even get that far when I tried
to start them up.  I got a splash screen with Evolution and that was
it.  Can someone enlighten me?

thanks,

jonathan