Re: inappropriate racist and other offensive material

[portions of previous messages snipped and rearranged for didactic
purposes]

Vineet Kumar said:

>  Vineet> The beauty of our system is that it is run by the
>  Vineet> community, and that it is free to be changed. He did what he
>  Vineet> could to improve Debian rather than just walking away from
>  Vineet> it.

The "Debian Community" is those people who actually contribute to it.  Not
necessarily just by maintaining packages but by at least advocating or
donating money or *something* tangible.  Others are free to to use it but
they have no right to demand anything.  A maintainer or other
contributor may deign to follow their requests or they may not. If someone
really wants to "improve" Debian (including improving it by removing
parts,) and can't convince another to do it, they have to be prepared to
do the work of maintaining their own fork or to shut up.

Manoj Srivastava wrote:

> 	And it is my right to fight tooth and nail to prevent debian
>  from sliding into censorship, since that makes debian worse.

While all this bickering was going on, the maintainer did actually remove
the offensive bit.  So the censorship has already occurred.  If Manoj is
serious about "fighting tooth and nail" (and not just trying to score
debating points as I suspect,) he has the same choice convince the
maintainer, fork the package or shut up.

> After all, I tolerate the bible, and the dhamapada. And such
>  superstition is far more insidious than racism.

The really insidious thing about these debates is the vapid philosophizing
that goes on...

My view is very simple.  There are no facts in such cases just subjective
opinions so the subjective opinion of he who does the work is the only
one that counts.

--
Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar@debian.org>