SSH 2 slower than 1?

Does anyone have idea why, after dist-upgrading my 486/25 router from
stable -> testing, ssh'ing in takes massively longer than before?

A "ssh -v kanyon exit" reveals that the slow point is immediately
after

debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEX_DH_GEX_INIT sent

.. but I'm not sure why the reply it's waiting for is taking so long.
It's not the generating of the session key, is it? Not even sure if
that a relevant question.

Anyway, after waiting a good 15 seconds, I get:

debug1: Host 'kanyon' is known and matches the RSA host key.
debug1: Found key in /home/jaycee/.ssh/known_hosts:7
debug1: bits set: 1618/3191
debug1: kex_derive_keys
.
.
.

and some more.  I can post the lot if it'd help.
Is it just that protocol 2 takes that much more horsepower to start a
session that my 486 just isn't up to it?  I do hope not ...

cheers,
jc

--
It may stop, it may not.  And stop calling me "dj".