OT: Microtel computer PCI modem

I'm interested in the Walmart/Microtel computers that come without software but I'm wondering about their PCI modem.

I understand that some PCI modems can be adapted for use in Linux but what I'd like to know is if once the PCI modem is adapted for Linux, can it still be used in other operating systems like windows or does this require reinstalling a driver every time you boot a different operating system? And, just how good
is a PCI modem that has been adapted for Linux?