Gnome/Sawfish starts with a delay

Hi.

I have a minor problem with my desktop when I log into the system from gdm login screen. While gnome is starting up, it hangs for about half a minute while while loading the sawfish window manager (the splash screen shows the icon and says it's loading window manager). After the delay gnome loads up (the panels, the background, etc.), but the window manager doesn't start for about another minute or half (can't get sawfish root menu, can't open any windows). Gnome desktop guide then pops out a window saying it couldn't find gnome compatible window manager, and the window manager finally starts. Everything works fine after that, even the deskguide. It isn't critical, but quite annoying, especially since I log on/off frequently.

I encountered the same thing, when I installed a new (similar, without ext3 and 2.4 kernel) copy of potato into a friend's home pc. Woody (without ximian) works fine at home, but I may not update my work pc to a non-stable release.

System:
   Debian Potato 2.2, stock 2.4.7 kernel (i386)
   + Kernel 2.4 updates (www.fs.tum.de/~bunk/debian)
   + Ext3 updates (people.debian.org/~risko/e2fsprogs)
   + XFree86 4.1.0 (people.debian.org/~cpbotha/xf410_potato)
   + Ximian Gnome (red-carpet.ximian.com/debian)

P.S. Replay directly, please; I'm not subscriber, I couldn't handle the traffic...

Thank you in advance,
--
Mikko Kilpikoski