Re: inappropriate racist and other offensive material

On Wed, Mar 13, 2002 at 02:36:28PM -0500, Chris wrote:

> You are kidding right?  IRC is extremely inappropriate for a child to
> use, period.  You are way off base, your perspective is badly skewed
> and I fear for the safety of your daughter online.  I wish her the
> best of luck with such poor guidance to grow with.

Actually its perfectly possible to restrict irc access to only one channel
say #debian, through a local dircproxy and firewall rules. but thats not
the point.

Any package maintainer should be responsible enough to remove any material
from a package that its users, or those exposed to it, found offensive.
Now I'm not suggesting that we put a "you must be 18 or older to install
this package" disclaimer on such packages but at least that maintainers be
reasonable and also consider what type of material and behaviour they wish
to be associated with.

In the case of BitchX (and I'm asuming it's BitchX we're talking about here,
I missed some of this thread) it could potentially offend not just the user
but other members of the channel that user is leaving. When I used BitchX I
had to clean up the quit messages to comply with the (partly self inflicted)
rules of my local LUG's IRC channel.

Do debian developers not have a duty to honor the wishes of Our Users and Free
Software ? Is it not a reasonable request that this statement be removed from
the debian release of BitchX ?

There's no need to CC the list with the flames, but I will accept criticism.

Alan.