Re: problem with dialup connection

 Hallo Sebastiaan,

   thanks for taking the trouble to react :-) .

Sebastiaan wrote:

> High,
> On Tue, 12 Mar 2002, Siward de Groot wrote:
>

> >   Hello,
> >
> >   I have a problem getting my dial-up internet connection to work.
> >   Your help would be appreciated.
> >
> <snipped info>
> >  Si:/my# route -n
> >  Kernel IP routing table
> >  Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
> >  193.172.249.23  0.0.0.0         255.255.255.255 UH    0      0        0 ppp0
> >  0.0.0.0         193.172.249.23  0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 ppp0
> >
> I think the problem is here. My route table has as destination a .0 at the
> end:
> 62.163.123.0    0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 eth0
>
> Perhaps that is the problem?

 i think this is caused by you being on an ethernet.
 i read man route, it says that "Genmask" is the netmask of the
destination.
 netmask is what is used to determine what part of an adres is the
network,
   and what part is the host.

 in your case, you are on a class C ethernet,
   so the first 3 bytes of destination are your ether network,
   and the last byte specifies a host on that network
     (actually number 0 indicates a network).
   you also dont have flag H,
     because that route is to a network, not to a single host.

 in my case, a dialup connection to my isp via external modem,
   i guess a mask of all 1's is correct
 if it were a mask of all 0's then i would also guess it was correct :-)
,
   as H flag shows that this is a route to a single host,
   which is always case for a point-to-point link.

 i'll try setting netmask to all 0's , but i doubt that will help,
   as this was created by pppconfig, which is reported to work 'out of
the box'.
 (it didnt for me,
  maybe because i have a network card installed which is not on a
network).

> Greetz,
> Sebastiaan

  have fun !

    Siward.

 posting on -user is like waiting for Santa Claus :-)