Re: Network and login without LDAP, NIS

> I will set up one machine(server) the way I want them to be, and then
> export the whole disk via NFS to the other 7 machines(clients). On the
> clients I'll then fixt the /etc/hostname, /etc/network/interfaces, and
> then I'll do chroot, lilo and add a line to /etc/fstab and import the
> /home from the server, so that all machines appear to be the same to the
> users. Does anyone have any comments regarding NFS exporting or automount
> of /home?
I have this setup in my office, and it works very well. Of course I have
SCSI disks in the server, and I also use NFSv3. It's very important also
to have a network working very well, if you can, use 100Mbps Full
Duplex, with a switch. If not, that's ok too.
One thing you MUST remember is to use "root_squash" in the export.

> I know about LDAP, NIS and the like, but I have no time at the
> moment to get into this, that will have to wait until the summer. With the
> whole disk exported , including the password files, will I then have a
> functionally system with usernames & passwords? Of course I'll have to
> export the relevant files everytime I make a change to the password-files.
It will work, but believe, setting up a NIS server is a quite simple, I
think you won't loose more than one our to set it up.

> I would like to know if anyone has some strong abjections to my scheme
> when it comes to userfuntionality and also a bit on the security side.
As I said above, setting up a NIS server is easy, and you will be
thankfull every time a user changes it's password.

-- daniel