Re: pppoe and kernel 2.4.x

On Tue, Mar 12, 2002 at 07:06:09PM +0100, Frodo Baggins wrote:
> Hi debianers,
>   well, I have a debian system connected to a ISP using
> pppoe. Everithing works well with the 2.2.x kernels, but for different
> reasons, I need to install a 2.4.x kernel.
>
>   Reading the file /usr/doc/pppoe/KERNEL-MODE-PPPOE I understand that
> I must recompile ppp from the tar-ball at
> http://www.shoshin.uwaterloo.ca/~mostrows/ which is a patched ppp,
> install it and then compiling rp-pppoe enabling plugins.
>
>   This look strightforward but will obviously clash with the package
> structure of my machine. Just for one, intrusion-detection tools
> (e.g. tiger) will complain about unmatching cecksums. For another,
> updating will become painful.
>
>   Is there another, more debian conformant, way to do it?
>
>   Thanks a lot

Unfortunatelly, pppd does not support kernel mode pppoe in Debian. You can still
use regular user space pppoe without any problems..

If you really want a kernel mode pppoe, I have submitted a bug
with the patch from http://www.shoshin.uwaterloo.ca/~mostrows/ (in BTS as
wishlish for ppp). The patch is about 100kB! :) My patch is a bit buggy though as
if you try to build pppd with it, the plugin will end up in the right
directory but pppd will search in a different one -- to overcome that
you'll have to specify the full path to the pppoe plugin. Then
changing the dsl-provider by commenting out the pty pppoe etc.. I was
able to start kernel mode dsl with

pppd eth0 call dsl-provider

as described on the website. Works very nice for me on a 486 box..
There is a noticible increase in performance especially when the box
is loaded -- much better network transit times.

The load due to pppoe also decreased from about 80% for full
bandwidth usage down to about 40%.. I will be testing it for stability
for the next few months but it looks very promissing.

PPP really should support kernel mode PPPoE for woody as there is no
harm for bootfloppies [simply not included there] or for regular pppd
as pppoe is a plugin that doesn't have to be enabled.

Anyway, this is just my 2 cents. BTW, I have 2.4.18 with kernel mode
pppoe as module [but I'll link it in kernel soon since it's on all the
time anyway]

- Adam

PS. Maybe if people demand it, I could fix my patch and increase the
severity of the bug so hopefully the maintainer will notice it and
include it before it's too late :)