Re: Reconfigure IP address

On Tue, 2002-03-12 at 17:04, Michael Montagne wrote:
> To reconfigure my IP address from DHCP to a static address, I need to
> run dpkg-reconfigure netbase, right?  If this is not correct, where can
> I get more info.  I just get the feeling that I'm not supposed to edit
> /etc/network/interfaces.  The warnings seem to imply that I should let
> debconf do what it does best.

I edited /etc/network/interfaces by hand before I even heard of
dpkg-reconfigure.  Here's my interfaces, from when I converted
from static to dhcp.  You'd just have to change the "dhcp" to
"static", uncomment out the specifics, and change them to what
ever your ISP says.

  $ cat /etc/network/interfaces
  auto lo
  iface lo inet loopback
  auto eth0
  iface eth0 inet dhcp
  #	address 24.181.111.92
  #	netmask 255.255.255.0
  #	network 24.181.111.0
  #	broadcast 24.181.111.255
  #	gateway 24.181.111.1

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net        |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://ronandheather.dhs.org:81    |
| "(Women are) like compilers.  They take simple statements  |
|  and make them into big productions."                      |
|     Pitr Dubovitch                                         |