Re: new installation from /var/cache/apt/archives

On Tue, 12 Mar 2002 23:09:24 +0800
"Craig Sampson" <craig@psi-aus.com> wrote:

> >New installation from /var/cache/apt/archives
> >
> >> May I do that ?
> >>
> >huh, what do you mean?
>
> I think what is meant here is that if you have a (fairly
> massive) bunch of .deb files in your apt cache could you do a
> completely fresh install of debian using this cache as the
> source?

Yes ;-)

> My guess would be no, probably not.  I think the best way to
> preserve your hard gotten downloads (hard gotten for those of
> us with modems) would be to apt-move the cache first so that it
> at least resembles a partial mirror.
>
> There would, I assume, be at least a few missing files that an
> initial install would be looking for using this method as well.
>
> Perhaps the best way of attacking the problem would be to do
> the base install from local media like a CD, then do an
> immediate upgrade using the files you've stored via apt-move
> from /var/cache/apt

In fact, I have to change my laptop disk from 8Go to 20Go. But I would
like to duplicat my system without re-installing it !

another debian-user thread talk about moving /var to another drive using tar
but I wonder if it forks for entire system !

The real pb is that I can't make an iso from my devices because they are too large
and I can't put 2 hard drive on my laptop !
I can put one of both on a desktop and transfert datas via ftp/nfs/rsync...
But I can't stop the laptop ! Is tar or rsync enougth to transfert an entire system
while this one running ?

	Thanks 4 responses

		François