FYI: Installing the Intel C++ compiler on Debian SID

Hello All,

I wanted to play around with the free (as in beer) Intel C++ compiler.
It was a bit of work to get it going on Sid. I thought I'd post
my experiences to debian-user. These instructions might be invalid
in a week. I'm not a glibc pro so I can't say....

PS Please don't flame me about using the Intel compiler. I'm not
advocating it, and I think the GNU compiler is great. I just
wanted to play around with it.

Anyway, here goes.

1) Go to http://www.intel.com/software/products/compilers/c50/linux/
and create a Premier Support Account. It's free.

2) Log in.

3) Download the latest version of the compiler
for RedHat 7.1 As of the writing of this email, the file is
cc_rh71_020201.tar.

4) Download the file LinuxOtherOSSupport5_0_1.tar.

5) Untar cc_rh71_020201.tar

6) Run alien --to-tgz on all .rpms  (making .debs failed for me)

7) Run tar -xzf on all resulting .tgz files.
This yields an "/opt" directory

8) The install is self-contained and you can put it where you want (that is,
it writes nothing to system dirs like /usr/include. I like /usr/local for stuff
like this (when there is no .deb file) so I did this:

cp -a opt/intel /usr/local

9) Edit /usr/local/intel/compiler50/ia32/bin/iccvars.sh and iccvars.csh, replacing
<INSTALLDIR> with /usr/local/intel. I don't have a 64 bit machine so I ignored
the ia64 directory.

10)Untar LinuxOtherOSSupport_5_0_1.tar

11) Follow the instructions in LinuxOtherOSSupport5_0_1.htm for installing the replacement
libs.

12) Do *not* (stress *not*) install the new substitute_header files... only the new libs.
This differs from the instructions for SuSE or Caldera.

All done. As far as I can tell, this works great.

Cheers,
Doug
--
Dr. Douglas Eck, http://www.idsia.ch/~doug
Istituto Dalle Molle di Studi sull'Intelligenza Artificiale (IDSIA)