Re: Using Alt in xterm

On Mon, Mar 11, 2002 at 14:29:40 -0600, Mark J. Tilford wrote:
> One program I use (frotz) runs in an xterm and uses Alt-(various
> keys).  The program ran fine on my old redhat system, but on this setup,
> Alt-U (or other key) simply registers as U.  It works fine in character
> mode, though.  Any ideas how to get it to work in X?
>
> (from my ~/.Xdefaults file)
> XTerm*metaSendsEscape:          true
> XTerm*eightBitInput:            true

OK.

> (from my ~/.xmodmap)
> keycode 113 = Mode_switch
> keycode 115 = Meta_L
> clear mod1
> add mod1 = Meta_L
> clear mod3
> add mod3 = Mode_switch

OK (make sure that these are the right keycodes for Alt and Meta,
you can check with xev).

Is the remaining of your .xmodmap OK?

For instance, I have:

keycode  38 = a A ae AE

Thus Alt-a gives æ and Shift-Alt-a gives Æ.

--
Vincent Lefèvre <vincent@vinc17.org> - Web: <http://www.vinc17.org/> - 100%
validated (X)HTML - Acorn Risc PC, Yellow Pig 17, Championnat International