RE: The future of Debian install??

On Mon, 11 Mar 2002 11:37:08 -0800, Bedford, Donald T. wrote:

>a few years back. Yes, my first install on a x86 box as
>anything but easy as
>I build my own box. But, I now know more about my system than
>I ever did w/
>RH. This is why I chose the Debian path instead of re-
>installing RH on the
>new system.
>
>Auto-detect would be nice but I sure learned a lot when it
>didn't...

I may have missed something (sure hope so), but what I'd find
immensely useful is a way of being able to choose, at install
(or other) time what packages I want then save this selection
'list' to a file so that when I next install Debian on another
box I can just tell it to use the previously made selections.

SuSE has this capability and its fantastic for installing a
sane and similar OS onto vastly differing server hardware.

I imagine I could make a new 'task' to achieve this, but I've
yet to see any way, at install time, of importing something
that's not already on the install CD.

Something like 'would you like to import package selections
from floppy (or other) disk' would be just great.

Any pointers anyone?

As for the install - well, I -hate- dselect with a passion, it
gets the job done but gawd!  Does it have to be so time
consuming/difficult?

I'm deeply distrustful of GUI installers and never use em.
Quite liked the SuSE YAST1 (text only) except for the use of
RPM which gives you -big- inherent problems later in your
servers life.

Cheers,
Craig