Re: Change from SuSE to Debian

On Mon, Mar 11, 2002 at 07:36:05PM +0000, pete atkinson wrote:
> I would appreciate some tips...
>
> I have been running SuSE in various releases for the last 3 years and like(d)
> to think I had a good grasp of what was going on.
>
> In an effort to expand my knowledge, I have commandeered a spare box that I
> have and have chosen 'Potato' as my first Debian distribution. (It is a 400
> Celeron, 8Gb Disk, 512Mb RAM, Nvidia TNT2 graphics, Realtek NIC (no sound
> card) and an old IBM SVGA monitor - which will be replaced when funds allow)
>
> Boy ! what a difference - I am plodding through various HOWTO's and have
> configured my display and network card successfully (big deal some might say
> !) but the thing that is getting me is the whole culture change between the
> relatively spoon fed SuSE and the somewhat (to me) esoteric Debian.
>
> Are there any hints/tips/watch-out-fors that you could offer, principally, I
> am a bit confused over the non-RPMness of packages and the lack of the config
> suites such as YAST/YAST2 that SusE employs.
>
> I hope you can help and apologise if this seems a woolly request

I started Linux with Slackware but immidiately moved to Redhat when I
founf out V5 came to my notice.  Anyway, Debian is tougher than RPM
Linux system.

I suggest you to read some basic debian documentations including
developer ones, release notes and install manuals.

  http://www.debian.org/doc
  http://www.debian.org/doc/ddp

Oh, I hope mu web page below may help too.

Cheers :)

Osamu Aoki <debian@aokiconsulting.com>, GnuPG-key: 1024D/D5DE453D
Visit Debian reference http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/quick-reference/
There are 6 files: index.{en|fr|it}.html quick-reference.{en|fr|it}.txt
I welcome your constructive criticisms and corrections.