From: Stephen Nosal [mailto:steve@mybrewpub.com]
Sent: Monday, March 11, 2002 10:44 AM
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: dh-client setup problems

On Sun, Mar 10, 2002 at 03:13:38PM -0800, Jeff wrote:
> Stephen Nosal, 2002-Mar-10 15:51 -0500:
> > Well, folks, I'm still having no success here. Here's an excerpt from my
syslog files:

> > Mar 10 15:24:38 lambic dhclient-2.2.x: send_packet: Network is down
> > Mar 10 15:24:53 lambic dhclient-2.2.x: DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to
255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 14
> > Mar 10 15:24:53 lambic dhclient-2.2.x: send_packet: Network is down
> > Mar 10 15:25:07 lambic dhclient-2.2.x: DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to
255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 11
> > As far as I know, roadrunner in NYC requires no host name - the modem
validates the mac address of the ethernet card. It works fine when I boot to
NT..., so I'm pretty confident the network is good, but I'm really at a loss
right now...

> > Thoughts?
>
> Can you confirm that the DHCPDISCOVER packets really are going
> out?  My thought is that the NIC driver isn't working properly.

Well, the card works under NT, and before I attempted this move to DHCP I
was using the card to connect to an internal network as well as a verizon
DSL network using PPPOE. In addition, the modem lights indicate activity
when attempting to connect.

Any other ideas on how to test this? Please

- Steve

listmaster@lists.debian.org