Re: need advice on IRC client choice

Gary Turner, 2002-Mar-09 14:33 -0600:
> It's hard to believe, but I haven't done chat (and I've been 'online'
> since Genie in '90 or '91).  I don't even have a chat client installed
> on any of my machines.
>
> So, I figure -- let's stick one on the Debian box.  A quick
>
> "apt-cache search irc | grep client"
>
> yields 48 client packages.  There's everything from bitchx to zircon.
> As you might imagine, I need some suggestions on which irc-client to
> install.
>
> I'm running Debian Woody, X11 v4, and Gnome-sawfish desktop.  I mention
> the X stuff because for this application I think a graphical interface
> will be more appropriate for me (panels, sizing, etc.).
>
> Please don't start a religious war.  Just tell me what you like and why
> it's the next best thing to sliced bread :=)
>
> tnx,
> --

Start with xchat.  It's pretty straight forward and easy to get
started with.  Bitchx is my favorite term-based client, and its
very powerful.  I suggest getting famialiar with both, as I have,
so that when you get into a situation where X is not possible,
you have a client you can still use.

jc

--
Jeff Coppock		Systems Engineer