Re: Certificate printer software? / turboprint

High,

On Sat, 9 Mar 2002, Eric G. Miller wrote:

> > --- snipped
> > >
> > > Optionally we could adopt "kostenlos" as we have "kaput," "dumkopf,"
> > > and "blitzkrieg."  Unlike the French, English speakers have no
> > > problem using/stealing the words that best do the job. :-)
> >
> > I've seen many times that English native speakers use the Spanish word
> > "gratis" to mean free as in beer.
>
> Apparently, it isn't from Spanish, but traces back to Latin and French.
> Both Latin and French heavily influenced English.  Webster's says it
> came into common usage in Middle English, so it's been in the language
> for hundreds of years (since 15 century).  Seems to be commonly related
> to other words like grace, gratitude, gratuity, gratuitous, etc...
>
> I'd suspect the Spanish "gratis", might have similar Latin roots ??

As far as I can tell, it's Dutch. Well, I am pretty sure this is Dutch,
but unsure if it originates from that. One thing is for sure: Dutch people
like gratis goodies. Even if it is a product that we do not want, like,
need or has an awfull taste when consumed, if it is free, gratis, we will
take it :-)

just my 2 zeuro cents

Greetz,
Sebastiaan

--
  NT is the OS of the future. The main engine is the 16-bit Subsystem
  (also called MS-DOS Subsystem). Above that, there is the windoze 95/98