Re: questions about fvwm config, XF86Setup, fonts

xucaen@yahoo.com wrote:

>> Hi all, now that I have X running again, I notice a few things. XF86Setup
>> no longer works. when I select it from my fvwm menu nothing happens. no
>> errors no screen flashing, nothing.

>You seem to have started more than one thread on this, so forgive me if I'm
>losing track of where you are at. Am I right in thinking that you now have X4
>up and running ? XF86Setup and xf86config are for X3.3. For X4 do
>
>#dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86

Ok, here's where I get confused. I have plenty of questions for everyone so please
bear with me. I do have X3.3.6 running... apparently. I had thought
that a dist-upgrade to woody would install X4 but it would seem it did not.
The dist-upgrade did create an X4 XF86Config
in /etc/X11 which is why I couldn't get X running after the upgrade.
Now for the confusing part:
I _did_ install xserver-xfree86 using apt-get install xserver-xfree86 and it installed
fine but X3.3.6 is still what gets loaded when I run startx. Very strange.
I don't really have a preference as to whether I have X3.3.6 or X4 installed as
long as it works.  ;-)  so, how do I get one fully installed and the other
fully removed and why didn't dist-upgrade take care of this?
Now, since I apparently do have X3.3.6 running, should I remove xserver-xfree86?
Perhaps that is what's keeping my XF86Setup from working? Or should I remove the
X3.3.6 packages and get X4 working (and thus put back the X4 XF86Config)?

>> My fonts are different. I think some font packages didn't get installed.
>> What are the names of the default font packages for woody (testing)? I have
>> xfonts-base already installed.

>xfonts-scalable for type1
>msttcorefonts for truetype

Do these packages depend on X3.3.6 or X4?

thanks!

xucaen