From: Oliver Elphick [mailto:olly@lfix.co.uk]
Sent: Saturday, March 09, 2002 10:18 AM
To: Mark Dascher
Cc: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: /etc/passwd file, and USERSPEC.H

On Sat, 2002-03-09 at 14:45, Mark Dascher wrote:
> In the man page for /etc/passwd, it says that password aging information
can
> be keps in four characters following the encrypted password field
(separated
> from it with a comma).  However, I have tried manually entering the aging
> info there (e.g. ,.... or ,//// or ,..//), but it has no effect.

That is the old way of doing aging.  If you have shadow passwords, as
you probably have, aging is done in /etc/shadow, which has successive
colon-separated fields with the following meanings:

            Login name

            Encrypted password

            Days since Jan 1, 1970 that password was last changed

            Days before password may be changed

            Days after which password must be changed

            Days before password is to expire that user is warned

            Days after password expires that account is disabled

            Days since Jan 1, 1970 that account is disabled

            A reserved field

     "And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so
      that in all things at all times, having all that you
      need, you will abound in every good work."
                                  II Corinthians 9:8