sid: how to awake the fetchmail daemon?

I'm running sid and I have followed the recommendation to run
fetchmail as user "fetchmail". I am trying to come up with a shell
command to wake up the fetchamil daemon and check my mail while I'm
in Mutt.

I have added my username to /etc/sudoers like this:
ddamian wayfarer = (fetchmail) NOPASSWD: ALL

I can run any command as fetchmail with success (like sudo -u
fetchmail ls) however, when I run

sudo -u fetchmail fetchmail

I get "fetchmail: no mailservers have been specified". I suspect
that I am unable to read /etc/fetchmailrc. The permissions on it are:
-rw-------    1 fetchmail root          251 Mar  8 21:16
/etc/fetchmailrc

If I su from root to fetchmail and then run fetchmail it awakens the
daemon just like it should.

What should I do, please?

Thanks a lot.