Re: Performance Issues with Spamassassin

On Fri, Mar 08, 2002 at 10:33:21PM -0500, Anthony and Mary Ann Tantillo wrote:
> I have begun using spamassassin (2.01) with razor (1.19) as a mailfilter
> in combination with fetchmail (5.9.8), procmail (3.2.2), and exim (3.3.4).
> When I fetch a large number of messages (e.g. when I first startup the
> computer), response slows to a crawl. If I monitor the processes using
> top, spamassassin processes start to fill the screen.  On a
<snip>

You should consider running spamassassin as a daemon (spamd).  This
should greatly reduce the processing time, as well as the resource
hoggery.

Edit /etc/default/spamassassin, run /etc/init.d/spamassassin restart,
and have your procmail recipe use /usr/bin/spamc -f

You'll probably want to firewall out tcp port 783 to prevent people from
hitting your new spamd.

Hope this helps,
Chris Hilts
chilts@birdbrained.org