Re: Missing ICQ features / anyone seen those?

On Fri, 2002-03-08 at 16:10, Balazs Javor wrote:

> There are two features I've been missing / would like to have
> in ICQ, but I havn't found any implementation with either...
> So I thought I bring this up, maybe somebody knows one,
> or gets an idea for implementing one :)
>
> 1. The Windows client allow for a pseudo chat like view of
> the messages exchanged with somebody and if your counterpary
> sends several messages in short (or long) time they will automatically
> appear on the top half of the window.
> In all (working) Linux client I've seen you need to press the next
> message button if a new message arives. This is a bit inconvenient
> as I don't always notice them at first and may be replying to only
> part of the message :(
>
> 2. I have only relatively few friends on my contact list, so it would
> be very nice if it could somehow be completely integrated into the
> Gnome panel. Maybe similar to the taskview applet or something like that...
> That way there would be no need to open up the separate ICQ window
> to see the status of a couple of peole at a glane and to be able to
> quickly start conversations with them or send files etc...
> For me a panel applet woulf be an ideal place for it.
> Unfortunatelly allthough some clients (GnomeICU etc.) have a panel
> applet they only display a very small summary number and don't allow
> much directly beside changing my status quickly...

Well that's certainly intersting... you've just described Gaim... :) You
can have an IM style chat window for ICQ, AND it comes with a gnome
panel applet. You click the applet, your contact list pops up. Click
again, it's gone. The applet will also graphically show your current
status. Best of all, it works with AIM, ICQ, MSN, Jabber, and probably
quite a few other protocols that I know nothing about. :)

-Alex