Re: Kernel question

begin  Charles Parker  quotation:

> I don't see a 2.4 kernel in the stable Debian packages. I've been told it's
> usually NOT a good idea to take a kernel directly from kernel.org because
> it won't contain the customizations provided by your distribution, and
> things will likely break.

Not true on Debian. I always build mine from kernel.org tarballs.

> I've also been told to use a 2.4 kernel for
> better USB support (which started this whole thing).

USB support in recent 2.4 kernels is pretty decent. If this is a
workstation machine (i.e. one that someone is actually going to be
working at, as opposed to a dedicated server), you probably ought to
just move to Woody, which has 2.4 kernels available. Potato's apps are
so far out of date it isn't funny anymore. If you want to run GNOME,
KDE, mozilla, or any number of other programs that have evolved
significantly in the last two years, you'll find it much more pleasant
with Woody.

Craig