Re: Greek keyboard on Woody

On Fri, 8 Mar 2002, Pietro Cagnoni wrote:

> George Karaolides wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Any pointers/suggestions on how to set up a Greek keyboard on woody?
> >
> > Best regards,
> >

> there's an hellenic-howto on www.linuxdoc.org.
>
> pietro.

Hi Pietro,

Thanks for the pointer, but I was aware of the Hellenic HOWTO.

It is, however, desperately out of date: August 1997.

Also, the solutions suggested therein are mostly non-standard.  For
example, there are dedicated software packages for the Greek keyboard, but
I am aware that X comes with its own standard mechanism for installing
alternative keyboard maps.

I am sure that the Debian community, with its predilection for standards
adjerence and up-to-date-ness, has built much better Greek support into
woody's internationalisation than the non-standard, out-of-date hacks
suggested in the Hellenic HOWTO.  The stuff must be in the distribution
somewhere; I just can't find where.

Best regards,

|   George Karaolides                      Linustech Advanced Solutions,  |
|   tel:   +357 22 55 61 29              86 Ifigenias Street, 3rd Floor,  |
|   web:   www.linustech.com.cy              Strovolos, Nicosia CY 2003,  |
|   email: george.karaolides@linustech.com.cy       Republic  of Cyprus.  |