post-upgrade sysvinit problem

I've upgraded to woody, and things work, but startx was gone.
Ok, no problem, I apt-got xbase-clients. That is interrupted
by the following:

dpkg: error processing sysvinit (--configure):
 subprocess post-installation script killed by signal /
(Segmentation fault)
 sysvinit

So...having searched the debian-user archives fruitlessly,
AND found that my sysvinit man page is broken, I appeal to
ye wizards.

Thanks,

Tom

--