Re: XDMCP Howto?

Donald Spoon wrote:

> --snip-- <
This is a KLUDGE and very awkward to use! If you know how to get another X-session going at the same time, I would appreciate knowing it. One of the problems with the above is that the [local computer] doesn't have GDM/XDM running so it cannot participate in the XDMCP network except as a "dumb" terminal. Once again, I KNOW you can have GDM running without bringing up the login screen, but I don't know how to do it. I have done it using XDM in XFree86 version 3.3.6, but the 4.1 version has me stumped... all my familiar old files have been changed :(

Sorry to reply to my own message, but I just discovered how to have GDM running BUT not have the x-server started. This will boot you into a command prompt with GDM running where you can type in the command "X -indirect [lan computer with "chooser" enabled]. You can even point it at the "local" computer if you have gdmchooser enabled there. You can now choose to login to your local computer if you want!

1.  Boot up and go to another terminal (ctrl-alt-F2)
2.  login as root and stop GDM (/etc/init.d/gdm stop)
3. Using the editor of your choice edit the /etc/gdm/gdm.conf file in the [servers] section and comment out the line that reads something like this "0=Standard vt7". In fact comment out ALL of them listed here. 4. Restart GDM (/etc/init.d/gdm start). You should now still be at a command prompt with a GDM process listed in "ps aux". 5. Start up X with an "indirect" parameter, i.e. "X -indirect gandalf", where gandalf is the name of my "local" computer. This should bring up the gdmchooser screen with ALL the XDMCP computers on the LAN listed, including the local one. You should be able to connect to any one listed there.

If all this works, you can now automate it by creating an initscript that issues this command and starts AFTER the GDM initscript per the suggestions in the linuxgazette article mentioned in my previous message.

You will have to go to one of the tty terminals to shut the system down in this config. The only options on the individual login screens (in addition to the normal Xsession selections) are to either "connect" or "disconnect". The "disconnect" option will cycle you back to the chooser screen.

Cheers,
-Don Spoon-