Re: PPP DNS Problem: Corrected!

On Thu, Mar 07, 2002 at 07:25:49AM -0800, John Shepherd wrote:
> All,
>
> .  I previously listed my machine's local network
> IP address (192.168.1.1) as the "gateway address"
> when setting up the network.  I left gateway
> address blank this time.

That was probably it, not that I read your previous post, but pppd doesnt like
assigning a new gateway address if you already have one.

> .  Without understanding what I was doing, I made
> up a domain name and included that in my previous
> network setting.  I left domain name blank this
> time.

You should be ok to set that to anything really. Maybe it made on up for you.
what happens if you type "hostname" in a console ?

> .  I may or may not have set up DNS server during
> the initial "Configure Debian" (simple method)
> process.  I did not setup DNS network this time.

You'll get those assigned by your isp when you connect. So good choice again
there.

>      While I'm not sure which of these was the
> problem, I'm very happy that it is all working
> correctly now.

Indeed, now you can get on with having fun with debian.
Go on "apt-get install cowsay" :-)

Al.