Re: Postgresql upgrade 7.1 -> 7.2 issue

On Thu, 2002-03-07 at 00:17, andrew.clark@sge.net wrote:
> I'm having problems upgrading from postgresql 7.1 to 7.2.
>
> On attempting to start the postmaster I get:
>
> # /etc/init.d/postgresql start
> The database is in an older format that cannot be read by
> version 7.2 of PostgreSQL.
>
> The postinstallation script should attempt to upgrade the database
> automatically.  If it fails, it must be done by hand.
> *** READ /usr/share/doc/postgresql/README.Debian.migration.gz FIRST! ***
>
> The version 7.2 postmaster cannot be started until
> this is done.
>
> Reading that document says I should run:
>
> postgresql-dump -t db.out -dcivlp $PGDATA/../data.save
>
> Which produces:
..
> process_hba_record: invalid syntax in pg_hba.conf file
> Missing or erroneous pg_hba.conf file, see postmaster log for details

The Debian release of 7.1.x contained an authentication method called
"peer" for validating Unix socket connections.  This has now been
adopted upstream but renamed to "ident".  The postinst should have
offered to make this change for you.  If the current postgresql finds
"peer" in pg_hba.conf it will produce this error.

Change any occurrences of "peer" to "ident" in
/etc/postgresql/pg_hba.conf.  If you run postgresql-dump by hand, you
will probably also need to make the temporary change of adding "local
all trust" at the top of that file so that postgresql-dump can restore
databases owned by different users.  Don't forget to remove it again
afterwards.

     "Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them
      in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the
      Holy Ghost; Teaching them to observe all things
      whatsoever I have commanded you; and, lo, I am with
      you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen."
                     Matthew 28:19,20