Re: new twist on shutting down and restricting ssh users

dman wrote:

> [paraphrasing]
> | just remap ctrl-alt-delete to shutdown
>
> <comment to self>
> DUH!
> </comment to self>
>
> Thanks for the reminder.  Of course that's the simplest way to do it!
> I even did that for my workstation and the laptop at my previous job
> because I thought it was a good idea.

I do that too, but with one addition for my server boxes: I have this at
the end of /etc/init.d/halt:

---------8<-------------------------------
# Beep four times, so operator knows when to power off
echo $'\a'
sleep 1
echo $'\a'
sleep 1
echo $'\a'
sleep 1
echo $'\a'

halt -d -f -i -p

That way, it beeps four times immediately before halting, so I know when
it's safe to power off without having a monitor attached.

Richard

--
I'm currently looking for work; see my Curriculum Vitae here:
http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/~rhector/cv.html