Problems with locales

Hi!

I have some problems setting my locales to German on my woody install.
The task package for German settup produced the file /etc/lanuage-de
which seems to be set some environment variables, but it is not executed

or sourced by any other startup script. The documentation also suggests
to set LANG=de_DE.ISO-8859-1 which leads to warnings like this:
perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
LANGUAGE = (unset),
LC_ALL = (unset),
LANG = "de_DE.ISO-8859-1"

On my potato machine a simple LANG=DE_de was sufficient for that matter.

Thanks
Christoph