Re: postgresql upgrade problem

--- Charles Baker <rascharles@yahoo.com> wrote:
> After postgresql was kept back on both an upgrade
> and
> a dist-upgrade, I tried an install. This is the
> result:
>
> twin:/etc/apt# apt-get install postgresql
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> Some packages could not be installed. This may mean
> that you have
> requested an impossible situation or if you are
> using
> the unstable
> distribution that some required packages have not
> yet
> been created
> or been moved out of Incoming.
>
> Since you only requested a single operation it is
> extremely likely that
> the package is simply not installable and a bug
> report
> against
> that package should be filed.
> The following information may help to resolve the
> situation:
>
> Sorry, but the following packages have unmet
> dependencies:
>   postgresql: Conflicts: postgresql-client (< 7.2)
> but
> 7.1.3-8 is to be installed
> E: Sorry, broken packages
>
> I used different mirrors over a couple of days w/
> the
> same result. However, on my laptop postgreslql 7.2-4
> installed just fine. But on my desktop I'm stuck at
> postgresql 7.1.3-8 .

<<SNIP>>

Well, I just did an ``apt-get install
postgresql-client'' and it caused many supporting
packages to be installed including postgresql. Is this
indicative of a dependancy problem for these packages?

=====
rascharles@yahoo.com
Hacking is a "Good Thing!"
See http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/faqs/hacker-howto.html