Re: More cheese nibbler questions

* Harry Putnam (reader@newsguy.com) [020306 11:02]:
> Setup: Stock woody install from testing
>        Kernel 2.2.20
>
> Comments: X is installed but not running for these tests
>           Mouse works in X but not in console
>

> If I say:
>
>  # /etc/init.d/gpm force-reload
> Stopping mouse interface server: gpm.
> Starting mouse interface server: gpm.
>
> at the command line then `ps waux|grep gpm '
> should show some thing with gpm in it ...right?

Yep. Seeing as how it doesn't, something must be wrong. =) Did you try
to just run gpm directly on a command line, instead of trying to start
it as a daemon? At least that will help you learn if it ever runs at
all, or if it quits very quickly or something. If that works, then maybe
your initscript is messed up.

> Should lsmod also show a module running that is mouse realated?

I don't think so. I don't think CONFIG_PSMOUSE can be built as a module.
In any case, to remove all doubt, look at /boot/config-2.2.20* (its name
is dependent on what the kernel package you have installed is) and
search for CONFIG_PSMOUSE. You'll probably see a 'y', which means it's
built in. Another test you could try is to see the output of lsmod while
you have the mouse working in X.

> Neither of these happen here.  Is it likely that upgrading to a newer
> kernel or reconfiguring the present one will help this situation?

Not likely, I'd say. If X can get it working, then the hardware is
working (and working with your kernel).

Again, I'd say try running /usr/sbin/gpm at the command line. In one of
my recent posts in the quest for rodent power thread I gave a good one
to try that included the -D flag.

good times,
Vineet

--
Currently seeking opportunities in the SF Bay Area
Please see http://www.doorstop.net/resume/