Re: [Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com>] Re: Terminfo and emacs

>>"Harry" == Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> writes:

 Harry> I think there are some problems with it, but not really prepared to
 Harry> give a full analysis.  One thing you might consider is that a regular
 Harry> emacs package from source would have had no problems with the
 Harry> directory having been moved.  It would just have recreated it and gone
 Harry> on about its business.

	And had you installed the regular Debian package from the .deb
 it would have recovered just as well, gone about its business
 too. What you did was remove the files of cxref, installed a totally
 diffrent package, and expect cxref to work. Lets see anyone do better
 with a emacs package in a tarball.

 Harry> I noticed that my site-start.el file that has built up over a few
 Harry> years and worked in many places would not load as an init file even
 Harry> when placed in /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp.

	Quite correctly so.

 Harry> Which is contrary to emacs defaults.

	That happens not to be the case.

 Harry> I had to change the name to `default.el' before it would
 Harry> load on init.  It still doesn't load first, which again is not defaut
 Harry> and contrary to the emacs documentation (I think, but haven't
 Harry> researched it fully)

	I think you should perhaps do that before publically
 complaining about non conformance.

 Harry> While not major issues it seems a bad move to change stuff that is
 Harry> documented in the info files.  Unless of course there is a good
 Harry> reason.

	*Sigh*. I sure wish people would read the docs they complained
 debian was violating. From the info file:
   Your site may also have a "site startup file"; this is named
`site-start.el', if it exists.  Like `default.el', Emacs finds this
file via the standard search path for Lisp libraries.  Emacs loads this
library before it loads your init file.

	Now go look at your load-path. See how /etc/emacs comes before
 /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp? Does that explain why
 /etc/emacs/site-start.el is loaded first?

	Incidentally, that file is kept under /etc precisely so that
 you can edit/modify the file and not have it overwritten.

 Harry> A further thing I noticed in the policy statement was that some things
 Harry> are done by debian even if emacs is started -q -no-site-file.  Which
 Harry> again breaks those commands and runs contrary to the documentation.

	Details, please? setting debian-emacs-flavor surely does not
 break any such command?

 Harry> That is supposed to give a fully vanilla emacs.  Sometimes needed.

	And what exactly do you get that is different from the vanilla
 emacs then?

	manoj
--
 Words have a longer life than deeds. Pindar