Re: Setting up a linux network

On Mon, 2002-03-04 at 10:22, Kent West wrote:
> Camilo Olea wrote:
> > Hello!
> >
> > I want to know, what can i do to have a linux network equivalent to
> > a windows one? This meaning, here at my college, the computer
> > lab network is made of a number of win2k PCs, anyone can sit
> > down at any terminal, login with his user/pass, and the network
> > loads automatically his profile, home directory,etc.
> > The users save their files to their mapped network drive, that
> > resides phisically at the server.
>
> This is something I've wanted to do for two years here at my university,
> but haven't been able to figure out.
>
> I *believe* that samba + PAM can now authenticate off an NT domain, but
> I'm not sure of it, and I certainly have never figured out how.
>
> I also believe it can authenticate off an LDAP server, which I've also
> tried a bit to accomplish, unsuccessfully.
>
> All this to say that I *think* it can be done, but I've never done it
> (though I'd love to).

I _think_ he's talking about a complete linux replacement for all
of the Winboxen, including clients.

I believe that NIS+NFS would do it, where the students' /home
directories are kept on the server, and exported to the client
when the student logs in.

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net        |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://ronandheather.dhs.org:81    |
| 484,246 sq mi are needed for 6 billion people to live, 4   !
! persons per lot, in lots that are 60'x150'.                |
! That is ~ California, Texas and Missouri.                  !
! Alternatively, France, Spain and The United Kingdom.       |