Re: suggestion

On Sat, Mar 02, 2002 at 08:11:10PM -0600, Mark S. Reglewski wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 02, 2002 at 11:52:31AM -0600, will trillich wrote:
> > short version:
> > why not have your .signature reflect which debian you're using?
>
> 1) You simply won't get enough people to change their .sigs to make
> this useful.  The .sig for a lot of old hands on the Net is an
> expression of their personalities:  you'd have as much luck in trying
> to persuade them to change their hair styles, manner of dress, or
> favorite soft drink.

i don't think this is a 'solution' that requires 'mass' in order
to work. at least if your answer is pertinent to, say, potato,
and you say so (perhaps in yuor sig, perhaps otherwise) then the
asker at least HAS the information. he may not see it, but it's
there.

> 2) There are a lot of people who just mentally filter out the .sig as
> noise.  I've been on the Net since, oh, '97, and within a month I had
> pretty much stopped looking at .sig blocks.  I rarely look at them now
> unless they are BIG or otherwise eye-catchingly ugly.  It would be
> the last place I would look for information relevant to a problem
> report.  This "ignore-sig-block" habit is so ingrained I doubt that
> I could train myself to consistently look at list .sigs unless I used
> Pavlov/high-voltage-electroshock conditioning.  I'm deeply sympathetic
> to novices on the list (I'm one of them!), but not enough to run
> current through myself to alter a reflex.

omitting context due to a "i've always done it like this"
rationalization (ever read "the lottery?")  is a poor excuse.
but i can tell you're the type to include it by hand, on
purpose, which is the best approach yet. :)

> You've identified a real problem, but I think your fix is unworkable.

it's a band-aid, to be sure, but at least it's a band-aid.

--
I use Debian/GNU Linux version 2.2;
Linux server 2.2.17 #1 Sun Jun 25 09:24:41 EST 2000 i586 unknown

DEBIAN NEWBIE TIP #50 from Will Trillich <will@serensoft.com>
:
Want to specify EDITOR SETTINGS WHEN LAUNCHING FROM MUTT?
Put something like this in your ~/.muttrc file:
	set editor="vim -c 'set ft=mail tw=64'"
That ensures that Vim syntax highlighting is set for "mail"
patterns, and that text will wrap automatically at 64
columns. (For more info, try ":help tw" or ":help ft" when
inside Vim. Also, browse /usr/share/doc/mutt/html/manual.html
for the full scoop on customizing Mutt.)