Re: suggestion

On Sat, Mar 02, 2002 at 11:52:31AM -0600, will trillich wrote:
> then you can do whatever you think is pertinent in in your
> ~/.signature-debian script. for example:
>
> 	#!/bin/bash
> 	echo -n "Note that I use Debian version "
> 	cat /etc/debian_version

Because /etc/debian_version (on the machine I'm sitting at) contains

---
2.2
---

instead of

---
a system with roughly 2/3s stable and 1/3 testing packages installed
whose current package listing contains packages from:

deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable/non-US main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org stable/updates main contrib non-free
deb http://bradley/debian westling main

(The bradley archive is maintained internally and contains mostly
stable packages with some testing packages and a few packages which
are not distributed by Debian at all.)
---

/etc/debian_version is incorrect and, on days when I have
sources.list pointing at testing instead of stable, it is even less
correct, as apt-cache will look through the woody package list
instead of the potato list.

And the actual statement of this machine's status is decidedly not
McQ, either.

have already won. - reverius

Innocence is no protection when governments go bad. - Tom Swiss