Re: upgrading to woody.

On Sun, Mar 03, 2002 at 10:51:53PM -0500, Ben Collins wrote:
| On Mon, Mar 04, 2002 at 02:19:40PM +1100, Ross Tsolakidis wrote:
| > newbie here...
| >
| > Just want to make sure I'm doing it the right way.
| > If I want to upgrade to woody from potato...
| >
| > 1) Change the apt sources.list to point to woody.
| > 2) dselect and just upgrade all the packages.
|
| Personally I prefer doing step 1, and then:
|
| apt-get update
| apt-get dist-upgrade
|
| If dselect makes you feel more confortable, then stick with it. Your
| steps should get you there.
|
| --
|  .----------=======-=-======-=========-----------=====------------=-=-----.
| /       Ben Collins    --    Debian GNU/Linux    --    WatchGuard.com      \
| `          bcollins@debian.org   --   Ben.Collins@watchguard.com           '
|  `---=========------=======-------------=-=-----=-===-======-------=--=---'

i'd agree... i've done that more than three times, and it's worked. if
apt has problems, just keep running apt-get dist-upgrade until it stops
as you would a new install.

aslo, on the debian-testing (or debian-devel) list, many people have
suggested upgrading dpkg and apt before the dist-upgrade. if you decide
that approach, edit your sources.list, then

apt-get update
apt-get install dpkg apt
apt-get dist-upgrade

things may work better. also, i'd strongly advice a:

apt-get -s dist-upgrade

the -s option tells apt "simulate" and it doesn't actually do anything.
this will help to see exactly which packages apt will be upgrading,
configuring, and possibly removing. it's an added step, but only takes a
second to read it over.

good luck,
jason

| registered linux user #202942   |   http://counter.li.org/  |
| Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 Woody      |   2.4.16-k6               |
| jason@theigloo.dhs.org          |   http://theigloo.dhs.org |