SSH key logins, and ftp login

Hi,

I've noticed that as soon as I start using ssh keys for an account
(generating a ssh2 key, copying public key to remote machine etc.), I can
not use the username/password authentication for certain services!

I can not ftp into my machine for example. And if I login from a strange
PC which key I do not have on my keyring, then I can't login to my PC! I
can also not login to gdm/kdm. The only place I can login is on tty1
etc.

I'm guessing it has something to do with pam, but I'm very confused.

Can someone help me use standard username/password logins when I want
too, and key-based authentication otherwise?

--
Danie Roux *shuffle* Adore Unix