Re: mutt procmail NEWBIE

On Sun, Mar 03, 2002 at 01:59:16PM +0100, frans@vizatti.com wrote:

> However able to get the mail delivered where I want to, Mutt complains that the destination box (spoolfile) is not a mail box.
> I don't have a clue as to where I must look. The documentation of procmail/mutt requires expert-insight; no easy "looks like this" examples (well it does, but it don't work for me). Also the mutt and procmail webpages for Newbies gave me an impression of what is possible, impressive by the way, but I could not get a configuration out of it.

I've had these problems as well. The documentation that I looked at
didn't mention how to fix the problem with the error 'is not a mail
box'.

> .forward #Found the second option on internet...
> ##########
> #'| /usr/bin/procmail'
> "| /usr/bin/procmail || exit 75 #mail"

I also had a .forward file, seems mutt will ( in debian) work
without this file. I have since deleted it.

> .fetchmailrc #This seems to work....

> ##############
> set postmaster "mail"

May want to set this as your login user name, so you recieve any
mail generated by the system

> set nobouncemail
> set no spambounce
> set properties ""
> poll mail.local.inet with proto POP3
>        user 'henkie@local.inet' there with password 'Sure' is 'otheruser' hereoptions fetchall no rewrite stripcr
>  mda '/usr/bin/procmail'

I also had the mda line as well in my .muttrc, I think this may have
been the culprit causing the error with the mailbox not being recognized
as being a mailbox, don't know for sure, but it's not commented out
and seems to work fine.

> poll mymail.domain.com with proto POP3 and options no dns
>        user 'Prutser@LekMeVestje' there with password 'GeheimerKanNie' is 'gebruikert' here options fetchall no rewrite stripcr
>  mda '/usr/bin/procmail'
>
> poll pop.mail.yahoo.co.uk with proto POP3
>        user 'user' there with password 'DontTell' is 'user' here options fetchall no rewrite stripcr
>  mda '/usr/bin/procmail'
>

> ############################################################
> .procmailrc #Cleaned it up a bit
> #############
> 	MAILDIR=/home/snotty/Mail      #you'd better make sure it exists
> 	DEFAULT=${MAILDIR}/inbox   #completely optional
> 	LOGFILE=${MAILDIR}/procmail.log   #recommended
> 	SCHADUW=${MAILDIR}/schaduw

I'm not to sure about the braces surrounding the MAILDIR above, I
don't have those in my .procmailrc

> ##Whatever recipes you'll use
> ##The order of the recipes is significant
> #:0:
> #* ^From: scam@cyberspam\.com
> #/dev/null
> :0:
> * ^From: snotty6969@yahoo.co.uk
> /dev/null
>
> :0:
> $SCHADUW
>
> :0:
> * ^From: .*@topica.com
> $SCHADUW
>
> :0:
> * ^To: .*@vizatti.inet
> /var/mail/marlies
>
> # Accept all the rest to your default mailbox
> :0:
> ${DEFAULT}
>

> ########################################################
> .muttrc # Looks okee don't it?
> #########
> set spoolfile = /home/snotty/Mail/inbox
> set mbox = read
> set mbox_type = Maildir
> mailboxes !
> #mailboxes /var/mail/snotty
> #mailboxes /home/snotty/mail/inbox
> mailboxes /home/snotty/Mail/read
> #mailboxes /home/snotty/Mail/procmail.log

/home/snotty/Mail/procmail.log is not a mail box, you can remove
this

> mailboxes /home/snotty/Mail/schaduw
This appears to be where you want the mail from rule #3 to end up,
if so, I think, schaduw, needs to be changed, either in the rules or
this line, they need to be the same

> Thanks for reading all of this
> Gr. Frans

No problem, hope this help get your mail sorted
jerry