Re: Strange E-mail Headers

On Wed, Feb 27, 2002 at 07:03:49PM -0800, Tim Grogan wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've been paranoid after reading about people relaying through your e-mail
> server and spamming other systems.  I've tried to lock down my system to
> keep that from happening.  Today I got 2 email with these headers and I'm
> wondering if I didn't catch all the opennings.
>
> Tony Steidler-Dennison <tony@localhost.localdomain.grocomm.com>

Most likely this was an email without aproper email adres to begin with,
and your locak ETA (exim?) added a fully-qualified-domain name (yours:)
to make it obey some email standard.  Nothing to worry about.

[ you could check the rest of the headers, especially the Received:
  headers. probably you'll find that tony there somewhere without a
  host attached ]

> bounce-debian-user=timothy.grogan=grocomm.com@lists.debian.org

This was in a Reply-To: header, wasn't it.  It's Debian's mailinglist
software's way of marking each mail, so that in case of delivery
problems they have the information they need to prevent mail loops, or
something similar.  Should be in all your debian list's emails.  Again
nothing to worry about.

--
groetjes, carel