2.2r5 Kernel Module Install Failure

Early in the 2.2r5 installation
(from CD) I get to the step
"Configure Device Driver Modules"

- I highlight "fs" and press Enter
- I highlight "binfmt_aout" and
  press Enter and the following
  errors appear:

 /lib/modules/2.2.19/fs/binfmt_aout.o: unresolved symbol do_truncate
 /lib/modules/2.2.19/fs/binfmt_aout.o: insmod  (line wrapped)
      /lib/modules/2.2.19/fs/binfmt_aout.o failed
 /lib/modules/2.2.19/fs/binfmt_aout.o: insmod binfmt_aout failed
 Installation failed

After continuing with a very basic
install (only selecting "C Dev" in
the task list) it gets to the point
where it starts to copy package files
off of the CD and I get the following
errors:

 (several dpkg erros about directories not being
  empty when removing PCMCIA files)
 depmod: *** Unresolved symbols exist in
/lib/modules/2.2.19/fs/binfmt_aout.o
 Purging configuration files for pcmcia-cs ..
 depmod: *** Unresolved symbols exist in
/lib/modules/2.2.19/fs/binfmt_aout.o
 depmod: *** Unresolved symbols exist in
/lib/modules/2.2.19/fs/binfmt_aout.o
 rmdir: /etc/pcmcia/cis: No such file or directory
 rmdir: /etc/pcmcia: No such file or directory

After this basic installation finishes,
every time I boot the system the following
error appears:

 Calculating module dependencies...
 depmod: *** Unresolved symbols exist in
/lib/modules/2.2.19/fs/binfmt_aout.o

Again, this is installing off the CD so it's
not like I can update any files on it.  But
I find it hard to believe they'd releae a
CD image with a major but like this in it.
What am I doing wrong ?