Re: Installing kernel-image-2.4.17-k7

"Bill Moseley" <moseley@hank.org> writes:
> At 12:04 PM 02/27/02 -0800, Stan Kaufman wrote:
> >I just installed 2.4.17 on a new woody box, which involved an
> >upgrade from the 2.2.14 potato system my floppy install disks
> >created. The kernel-image package provided clear notice during
> >installation that the bootloader needs to be altered in order to
> >find the new image, since it's handled differently from the 2.2.x
> >kernels.
>
> What's handled differently?
>

> >Since I use lilo, it was a simple matter of adding a couple of lines to
> >the right entry in /etc/lilo.conf:
> >
> >image=/vmlinuz
> >    label=Linux
> >    initrd=/initrd.img
> >    root=/dev/hda2   # wherever your boot partition is
> >    read-only
> >
> >etc etc...
> >
> >You'd have to handle this differently with different bootloaders no
> >doubt; perhaps sid now does things differently too (?). Anyway,
> >once you've altered lilo.conf and run lilo, the kernel install runs
> >flawlessly.
>
> Ok.  Did you leave both kernels in you lilo.conf?
>
> I'm also a bit confused by:
>
> http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/quick-reference/ch-kernel.en.html#s-kernel-net
>
> That's been my biggest question -- I'm not clear about what I need
> to do differently for the "modularized" kernel.  The other question
> that's been bugging me is how I can have one /etc/modules that works
> for two different kernels.
>
> Thanks again for all the help!  My boss has been keeping me from the
> more important tasks of trying to get this kernel built today.
> Geeze!

Personally, I'd scrap the initrd stuff and compile your own kernels,
building in the necessary disk adapter and file system for your box,
i.e., not as modules but directly built into the kernel.

The purpose of initrd, in general, is to compile all the disk and file
systems drivers as modules and then they don't have to supply a bunch
of different boot images for different configurations during an
initial install (because building all the disk adapter drivers and
file systems directly into the kernel made it too large to fit on a
floppy).

initrd certainly serves a useful purpose for installation sets, but I
find my system boots slower with it and I always build my own kernels
anyway so I scrapped it.

Gary