Re: Problem with ATI Rage 128 Pro TF

On Tue, 2002-02-26 at 11:33, Rainer Sigl wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a problem working with my ATI Rage 128 PRO TF card on my
> new DELL machine with a new Installation of Debian Linux and Xfree86-4
>
> Output of lspc :
>
> [ snip ]
>
> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Rage 128 Pro TF
>
> [ snip ]
>
> Logfile:
>
> [ snip ]
>
> (II) ATI: ATI driver (version 6.3.6) for chipsets: ati, ativga
> (II) R128: Driver for ATI Rage 128 chipsets: ATI Rage 128 RE (PCI),
> 	ATI Rage 128 RF (AGP), ATI Rage 128 RG (AGP), ATI Rage 128 RK (PCI),
> 	ATI Rage 128 RL (AGP), ATI Rage 128 Pro PD (PCI),
> 	ATI Rage 128 Pro PF (AGP), ATI Rage 128 Pro PP (PCI),
> 	ATI Rage 128 Pro PR (PCI), ATI Rage 128 Mobility LE (PCI),
> 	ATI Rage 128 Mobility LF (AGP), ATI Rage 128 Mobility MF (AGP),
> 	ATI Rage 128 Mobility ML (AGP)
>
> [ snip ]
>
> (II) Primary Device is: PCI 01:00:0
> (II) ATI:  Candidate "Device" section "Generic Video Card".
> (EE) No devices detected.

Ranier,

I am not an expert, but barring the lack of any other useful advice to
your question, it looks to me like the Rage 128 Pro TF chipset (from
lspci) is not listed in the supported chipsets in the logfile. Check the
XFree86 website and see if the TF chipset is supported in 4.1.0 or
4.2.0.

I know that the Rage 128 Pro PP (PCI) was not originally supported in
4.1.0, but either support was added via 4.1.0.1 (that preprelease) or
the debian package maintainer applied a patch to add support for the PP.
Maybe something like that is already in the works for the TF, hopefully
in time for Woody's release. Then again, like I said, I'm not an expert
and could be completely wrong... :(

Good Luck,
Bill